How can sleep science influence your choice of hotel pillows & duvets?
Explore how sleep science guides hotel pillow & duvet choices, enhancing guest comfort & supporting vital sleep stages.
As a hotel owner, you understand the importance of providing your guests with a restful and rejuvenating experience during their stay.
The duvets and pillows you provide in your hotel can make a remarkable difference in your guests' sleep quality. Optimal comfort and support are essential to allow a night of sound and blissful sleep.
In this article, we will delve into the science of sleep and explore how the right hotel duvets and pillows can play a crucial role in promoting a good night's rest for your guests.
What are the stages of sleep? Why should they matter to hotel owners?
Sleep consists of different stages, each playing a vital role in the body's repair and well-being.
By understanding sleep science, you’ll appreciate the significance hotel duvets and pillows can have in enhancing your guests’ stay.
NREM Stage 1 - The foundation
- NREM Stage 2
- NREM Stage 3
- REM Sleep
REM sleep is essential for cognitive function, emotional processing, and creativity. It complements the other NREM stages, ending in a complete sleep cycle that allows the body and mind to thrive .
What can your hotel do to support guests to reach each sleep stage?
The perfect hotel duvets and pillows can enhance comfort and support, leading to better and uninterrupted sleep.
- Provide comfortable bedding: Comfortable bedding can promote relaxation and reduce discomfort during sleep .
- Use breathable bedding: Breathable bedding can help regulate body temperature and prevent overheating, which can disrupt sleep during NREM Stage 2 .
- Have soft furnishings: Soft and supportive pillows can help maintain proper posture and reduce neck and shoulder pain, which can interfere with sleep during NREM Stage 2 .
- Use blackout curtains: Blackout curtains or blinds can block out external light sources that can interfere with the transition into sleep during NREM Stage 1 .
- Create a cool bedroom: A slightly cooler environment can help the onset of sleep during NREM Stage 1 .
- Offer weighted blankets: Weighted blankets can have a positive effect on the time it takes a person to fall asleep and their ability to sleep.
Why should you choose the right hotel duvets & pillows for sleep?
The right type of bedding is essential for a good night's sleep for several reasons:
- Comfort: Bedding provides a comfortable surface to lie on, which can help reduce discomfort and support relaxation during sleep.
- Temperature regulation: The right type of bedding can help regulate body temperature, which is essential for achieving restful sleep.
- Breathability: Breathable bedding, such as high-quality cotton sheets, can help prevent overheating and promote airflow, which can improve sleep quality.
- Support: The right type of bedding, including pillows and mattresses, can provide proper support for the neck and spine, which can reduce pain and discomfort during sleep.
- Hygiene: Clean and fresh bedding can promote good sleep hygiene and reduce the risk of allergies or other health issues .
By using high-quality, breathable, and comfortable bedding, your hotel can create a better sleep environment for your guests.
What types of hotel duvets & pillows are available?
Down duvets & pillows
Down duvets are made from the soft under feathers of ducks or geese, and can support sleep in several ways:
- Temperature regulation: Down has natural temperature-regulating properties that can help keep guests warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Moisture-wicking: Down can absorb moisture and wick it away from the body, which can help prevent overheating and promote a comfortable sleep environment.
- Comfort: Down duvets and pillows are known for their softness and loft, which can provide a comfortable surface to lie on and promote relaxation during sleep.
- Support: Down pillows can provide proper support for the neck and spine, which can reduce pain and discomfort during sleep.
- Durability: High-quality down duvets and pillows can last for many years with proper care, making them a worthwhile investment for any hotel.
A great down pillow option is our Goose Down surround pillow. Its inner core is filled with goose feather which gives a medium support level, while the outer layer is filled with goose down ensuring a sumptuous softness that you can only get from down.
Feather duvets & pillows
Feather duvets are made from the feathers of ducks or geese. They are less expensive than down duvets, but they are still offer many benefits:
- Comfort: Feather pillows and duvets are known for their softness and loft, which can provide a comfortable surface to lie on and support relaxation during sleep.
- Temperature regulation: Feather pillows and duvets can provide a balance of insulation and breathability, which can help regulate body temperature and promote a comfortable sleep environment.
- Support: Feather pillows can provide proper support for the neck and spine, which can reduce pain and discomfort during sleep. Featherbeds can also provide an extra layer of support for the body's pressure points, such as the shoulders, hips, and back.
- Durability: Feather pillows and duvets can be more durable than other types of pillows and bedding, making them a worthwhile investment in long-term sleep quality.
- Cost-effective: Feather pillows and duvets can be more budget-friendly than other types of pillows and bedding, making them a good option for value hotels.
If you’re looking for feather bedding options, then consider the Star Linen UK Belvedere range.
The Belvedere duvet contains a filling of 85% duck feather and 15% duck down and is encased in cotton.
Similarly, the Belvedere pillow has the same filling and a pure cotton piped cover.
Synthetic duvets & pillows
Synthetic duvets are made from man-made materials, such as polyester or acrylic and offer several benefits:
- Hypoallergenic: Synthetic pillows are often hypoallergenic, making them a good option for hotels to cater for guests with allergies or sensitivities to natural materials.
- Moisture-wicking: Some synthetic materials, such as polyester, can be moisture-wicking, which can help regulate body temperature and prevent overheating during sleep.
- Cooling: Some synthetic pillows are designed to be cooling, using materials such as gel-infused memory foam or breathable fabrics to promote airflow and prevent heat retention.
- Cost-effective: Synthetic pillows and duvets can be more budget-friendly than natural options, making them a good option for budget hotels.
- Durable: Synthetic pillows and duvets can be more durable than natural options, making them suitable for long-term hotel use.
A great synthetic option is the Auckland range from Star Linen UK. Both the Auckland duvet and Auckland pillow work as a great value man made bedding for your hotel.
Cotton duvets & pillows
Cotton duvets and pillows can support sleep in the following ways:
- Breathability: Cotton is a breathable material that allows air to circulate, helping to regulate body temperature and prevent overheating during sleep.
- Moisture-wicking: Cotton has moisture-wicking properties, keeping guests dry and comfortable throughout the night.
- Comfort: Cotton is known for its softness and comfort, providing a cosy and inviting sleep surface.
- Hypoallergenic: Cotton is generally hypoallergenic, making it a suitable choice for guests with allergies or sensitivities.
- Durability: High-quality cotton bedding can be durable and long-lasting, providing continued comfort and support over time.
Our Brooklands range of hotel duvets and pillows offer a high quality cotton option. The Brooklands duvet is 10.5 tog, suitable for all-year round comfort, and the exceptionally fine fibre filling is our best alternative to down.
Alongside it, the Brooklands pillow is filled with the finest and softest silky fibres, giving your guests the perfect balance of comfort, support and indulgence.
How can your hotel support factors that improve sleep quality?
There are many factors that affect sleep quality, and your hotel can play a significant role in reducing the impact many of them have on your guests’ rest.
- Stress: High levels of stress can make it difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep. Your hotel could offer amenities such as spa services, yoga classes, or meditation resources that can help guests unwind and reduce stress levels.
- Anxiety: Anxiety can cause racing thoughts and restlessness, making it challenging to achieve restful sleep. Your hotel could provide information and resources to educate guests about anxiety management techniques, such as deep breathing exercises or mindfulness practices.
- Depression: Depression can disrupt sleep patterns and lead to insomnia or excessive sleepiness. Your hotel could offer resources to educate guests about depression management techniques, such as cognitive-behavioural therapy or light therapy.
- Medical conditions: Certain medical conditions, such as sleep apnea, chronic pain, and hormonal imbalances, can interfere with sleep quality. Your hotel could provide information and resources to educate guests about medical conditions that can affect sleep quality, such as sleep apnea or chronic pain, and offer recommendations for medical professionals who can support treatment.
- Medications: Some medications can affect sleep, either by causing insomnia or excessive drowsiness. Your hotel could provide access to clinically proven information about the potential impact of medications on sleep quality.
- Caffeine and alcohol: Consuming caffeine or alcohol close to bedtime can disrupt sleep patterns and reduce sleep quality. Your hotel could offer alternatives to caffeinated beverages and snacks, and provide information about the potential impact of caffeine and alcohol on sleep quality.
- Electronic devices: The blue light emitted by electronic devices can interfere with the production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep-wake cycles. Your hotel could provide information about the impact of blue light on sleep quality and offer alternatives to electronic devices before bedtime, such as reading materials or relaxation resources.
- Light: Exposure to bright light, especially blue light, before bedtime can suppress melatonin production and disrupt sleep . Your hotel could use blackout curtains or blinds to block out external light sources that can interfere with sleep quality.
- Noise: Loud or disruptive noises can interrupt sleep and reduce sleep quality. Your hotel could add soundproofing measures or provide white noise machines to minimise noise disturbances that can interrupt sleep.
- Sleep environment: Uncomfortable bedding, an uncomfortable mattress, or an unsuitable room temperature can affect sleep quality. Your hotel could make sure that its rooms are equipped with comfortable bedding, an appropriate room temperature, and a quiet and peaceful atmosphere to promote relaxation and reduce discomfort during sleep.
Reference for this section: 
What are the benefits of using hotel duvets and pillows?
Using hotel duvets and pillows offers numerous benefits, including comfort and support, promoting deeper and more restful sleep for guests. The high-quality materials and thoughtful design contribute to a luxurious experience, leaving guests feeling satisfied during their stay.
How do hotel duvets and pillows promote sleep?
Hotel duvets and pillows promote sleep by providing optimal comfort and support. They help align the body for better relaxation and reduce pressure points, leading to more restful sleep for guests.
What are the different types of hotel duvets and pillows?
Different types of hotel duvets include down, cotton, synthetic, and hypoallergenic options. Hotel pillows come in various firmness levels, such as soft, medium, and firm, catering to individual preferences.
How to choose the right hotel duvet and pillow for your needs?
To choose the right hotel duvet and pillow, consider factors like fill material, firmness, and any specific needs like allergies or temperature regulation.
What are some tips for washing and caring for hotel duvets and pillows?
Washing and caring for hotel duvets and pillows involve following the manufacturer's guidelines. Regularly fluff pillows and use protective covers to extend their lifespan. Duvets may require professional cleaning, depending on the material.
Where can I purchase hotel quality duvets & pillows?
You can purchase hotel-quality duvets and pillows from Star Linen UK.
We specialise in high-end bedding and soft furnishings for hotels, offering a wide range of duvets and pillows designed to provide optimal comfort and support for a luxurious sleep experience.